Publications on Irish literary and cultural history and on Celticism
- 2002 Hidden Ireland, public space (Galway, Arlen House / Centre for Irish Studies, 47 pp.)
- 1996 Remembrance and imagination. Patterns in the historical and literary representation of Ireland in the nineteenth century (Cork University Press, xi + 321 pp.)
- 1986/1996 Mere Irish & Fíor-Ghael. Studies in the idea of Irish nationality, its development and literary expression prior to the nineteenth century (Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins; 2nd ed. Cork University Press, 1996: xiii + 454 pp.). Awarded the triennial J.C. Baakprijs for analyses of international conflicts in 1988. The second edition was listed as one of the "International Books of the Year" in Times Literary Supplement, 1996. Interview on this book ("Rebuilding the Alhambra") in Poetry Ireland, 49 (1996): 20-29.
- 1994 The Contention of the Bards (Iomarbhágh na bhFileadh) and its place in Irish political and literary history (London: Irish Texts Society), 72 pp.
- 2020 Parnell and his times (Cambridge University Press, 2020). Info here
- 1999 guest editor of the Irish Review vol. 24: Law, culture and identity (Cork University Press)
- 2016 “Cuchulain in the General Post Office: Gaelic Revival, Irish Rising”, Journal of the British Academy, 4: 137-168.
- 2015 "Knotenpunkte: Wie Ibsen und Materlinck sich in Dublin in die Quere kamen", in Literarische Transnationalität: Kulturelle Dreiecksbeziehungen zwischen Skandinavien, Deutschland und Frankreich im 19. Jahrhundert, ed. K. Hoff, A.-L. Sandberg & U. Schöning (Würzburg: Königshausen & Neumann), 127-145
- 2015 "Convulsion recalled: Afternath and cultural memory (post-1798 Ireland)", in Afterlife of events: Perspectives on mnemohistory, ed. M. Tamm (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan), 134-53
- 2012 "The bard's garb: Ossian's dress sense", in Ossian and National Epic - Studies in Cultural Science, ed. G. Bär and H. Gaskill (Frankfurt: Peter Lang), 277-289
- 2007 (with Guy Beiner) "Why Irish History Starved: A Virtual Historiography", Field Day Review, 3: 67-81.
- 2007 "Last bard or first virtuoso? Carolan, conviviality and the need for an audience", in Amhráin Chearbhalláin / The poems of Carolan: Reassessments, ed. L.P. Ó Murchú (London: Irish Texts Society), 30-42.
- 2005 "Interesting to all the world: Fiction, interest, and the public sphere", in The Irish Novel in the Nineteenth Century: Facts and Fictions, ed. J. Belanger (Dublin: Four Courts Press), 52-62.
- 2004 "Petrie: Polymath and innovator", in George Petrie (1790-1866). The rediscovery of Ireland's past, ed. P. Murray (Cork & Kinsale: Crawford Municipal Art Gallery & Gandon, 2004), 7-11.
- 2004 "The theatre of William Butler Yeats", in The Cambridge Companion to Twentieth-Century Irish Drama, ed. Shaun Richards (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press), 47-61.
- 2001 "Monument and trauma: Varieties of remembrance", in History and memory in modern Ireland, ed. I. McBride (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press), 204-222.
- 1999 “For a post-Foucauldian literary history: A test case from the Gaelic tradition”, Configurations, 7: 227-245.
- 1999 “Law and border (How and where we draw the line)”, Irish Review, 24: 1-8.
- 1998 "Ossianic liminality: Between native tradition and preromantic taste, in From Gaelic to Romantic: Ossianic translations, ed. Fiona Stafford & Howard Gaskill (Amsterdam: Rodopi), 3-16.
- 1998 “1798: The recurrence of violence and two conceptualizations of history”, Irish review, 22: 37-46.
- 1995 "Wildness, Wilderness, and Ireland: Medieval and Early-Modern Patterns in the Demarcation of Civility", Journal of the History of Ideas, 56: 25-39.
- 1996 “Celticism”, in Celticism, ed. T. Brown (Leiden: Brill), 1-20.
- 1995 "Faoi thuairim na deorantachta", in Nua-leamha: Gnéithe de chultúr, stair agus litríocht na hÉireann, c.1570 - c.1900, ed. M. Ní Dhonnchadha (Dublin: An Clóchomhar), 41-56.
- 1995 “Wildness, Wilderness, and Ireland: Medieval and Early-Modern Patterns in the Demarcation of Civility”, Journal of the History of Ideas, 56: 25-39
- 1988 “Anglo-Irish Patriotism and its European Context: Notes towards a Reassessment|, Eighteenth-Century Ireland, 3: 7-24.
- 1986 "On the Edge of Europe: Ireland in Search of Oriental Roots", Comparative Criticism, 8: 91-112.
- 1983 "Archbishop Ussher and Gaelic Culture", Studia Hibernica, 22-23: 12-22.