Publications on Irish literary and cultural history and on Celticism
- 1986/1996 Mere Irish & Fíor-Ghael. Studies in the idea of Irish nationality, its development and literary expression prior to the nineteenth century (Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins; 2nd ed. Cork University Press, 1996: xiii + 454 pp.). Awarded the triennial J.C. Baakprijs for analyses of international conflicts in 1988. The second edition was listed as one of the "International Books of the Year" in Times Literary Supplement, 1996. Interview on this book ("Rebuilding the Alhambra") in Poetry Ireland, 49 (1996): 20-29.
- 1994 The Contention of the Bards (Iomarbhágh na bhFileadh) and its place in Irish political and literary history (London: Irish Texts Society), 72 pp.
- 1996 Remembrance and imagination. Patterns in the historical and literary representation of Ireland in the nineteenth century (Cork University Press, xi + 321 pp.)
- 2002 Hidden Ireland, public space (Galway, Arlen House / Centre for Irish Studies, 47 pp.)
- 2020 Parnell’s Shade: Ireland into the Twentieth Century (Cambridge: Cambridge Unversity Press, in press)
- 1999 guest editor of the Irish Review vol. 24: Law, culture and identity (Cork University Press)
- 2016 “Cuchulain in the General Post Office: Gaelic Revival, Irish Rising”, Journal of the British Academy, 4: 137-168.
- 2015 "Knotenpunkte: Wie Ibsen und Materlinck sich in Dublin in die Quere kamen", in Literarische Transnationalität: Kulturelle Dreiecksbeziehungen zwischen Skandinavien, Deutschland und Frankreich im 19. Jahrhundert, ed. K. Hoff, A.-L. Sandberg & U. Schöning (Würzburg: Königshausen & Neumann), 127-145
- 1983 "Archbishop Ussher and Gaelic Culture", Studia Hibernica, 22-23: 12-22.
- 1986 "On the Edge of Europe: Ireland in Search of Oriental Roots", Comparative Criticism, 8: 91-112.
- 1988 "Anglo-Irish Patriotism and its European Context: Notes towards a Reassessment", Eighteenth-Century Ireland, 3: 7-24.
- 1991 "Fiction Poetics and Cultural Stereotype: Local Colour in Scott, Morgan and Maturin", Modern Language Review, 86: 273-284.
- 1995 "Wildness, Wilderness, and Ireland: Medieval and Early-Modern Patterns in the Demarcation of Civility", Journal of the History of Ideas, 56: 25-39.
- 1995 "Faoi thuairim na deorantachta", in Nua-leamha: Gnéithe de chultúr, stair agus litríocht na hÉireann, c.1570 - c.1900, ed. M. Ní Dhonnchadha (Dublin: An Clóchomhar), 41-56.
- 1998 "1798: The recurrence of violence and two conceptualizations of history", Irish review, 22 : 37-45.
- 2001 "Monument and trauma: Varieties of remembrance", in History and memory in modern Ireland, ed. I. McBride (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press), 204-222.
- 2004 "The theatre of William Butler Yeats", in The Cambridge Companion to Twentieth-Century Irish Drama, ed. Shaun Richards (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press), 47-61.
- 2004 "Petrie: Polymath and innovator", in George Petrie (1790-1866). The rediscovery of Ireland's past, ed. P. Murray (Cork & Kinsale: Crawford Municipal Art Gallery & Gandon, 2004), 7-11.
- 2005 "Interesting to all the world: Fiction, interest, and the public sphere", in The Irish Novel in the Nineteenth Century: Facts and Fictions, ed. J. Belanger (Dublin: Four Courts Press), 52-62.
- 2007 (with Guy Beiner) "Why Irish History Starved: A Virtual Historiography", Field Day Review, 3: 67-81.
- 2007 "Last bard or first virtuoso? Carolan, conviviality and the need for an audience", in Amhráin Chearbhalláin / The poems of Carolan: Reassessments, ed. L.P. Ó Murchú (London: Irish Texts Society), 30-42.